Thursday, August 7, 2008

Being Awake to Beauty (Sky Above White Clouds)



I have always been fond of Georgia O'Keeffe's art. I was born in New Mexico and lived there until I was about 12. There are many people who would say that the New Mexico landscape is barren and ugly. There are many who say the same about the Texas landscape. What constitutes beauty in nature then? Is it merely a preference? or opinion?


It seems to me that what most people call beautiful are areas that have little to no economic benefit. The 'barren' places of earth are the ones that are condemned and drilled in or slashed and burned. I am realizing that if I cannot find beauty in large expanses of seeming emptiness I am merely a tourist, not a nature lover. Its difficult to make new discoveries when passing through in your car or taking pictures at the condo. In my journey to be awake to my surroundings and God's beautiful and good creation I am taking Wendell Berry's advice:


If you want to see where you are, you will have to get out of your spaceship, out of your car, off your horse, and walk over the ground. On foot you will find that the earth is still satisfyingly large and full of beguiling nooks and crannies

No comments: