Friday, May 2, 2008

Absolute Truth and Arrogance

When people approach the Bible with large amounts of confidence and claim that what they 'think' it says is absolutely true, is that arrogance? The reason I ask is because how can we say that we are absolutely sure of anything? One hundred years ago, interracial relationships were considered a sin against God. Two hundred years ago, slavery was an absolute truth in many sourthern churches. Brian Mclaren says, when we begin nailing everything down and bolting it to the floor it ceases to be faith. That makes sense to me. I dont believe because of absolutes, I believe because I am in awe.

The Bible does tell us that God is love and that she is always faithful. I have confidence in God and her faithfulness. So my question is this; what is 'proper confidence' and what is arrogance? How do we know the difference?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to ask this, but why do you/people refer to God with she and her?

Interesting book about the church you might like. The Great Giveaway by David E. Fitch

Anonymous said...

Cody probably refers to God as a she for two reasons:
1) because the article has to do with absolutes and God is never "absolutely" labeled with a sex.
2)he is a feminist.