Monday, June 9, 2008

Starting Question

I read a post that made the claim that 'every world view starts with the question, 'what is wrong with the world/me, and how can I fix it?' Many people-including myself, until recently- have began here, with that exact question. It has been the grid through which I see the world and people around me. I believe this isn't the best place to start.

The question assumes that creation is 'bad'. When God created the heavens and the earth, he said it was 'good'. I believe it is still good, corruptible by humans yes, inherently 'evil', no. If I look at my world, my neighbor, my enemies and ask, 'what is wrong with them, and how can I fix them?, I will begin moralizing their life and judging them. For me, using this question as the starting point of my world view doesn't allow me to be in awe of God's goodness; it pushes my focus into how can I fix all the problems around me. Are we really responsible for having the solution to every problem? Where does our faith come in? Or is it up to us?

I think a better question to start with is ' What is God's dream for the world and how can I participate in it?' I believe God desires to heal our world, to bring people into wholeness and in harmony with him and his intentions. Starting at this question assumes that God has a plan, and it actively at work fulfilling it. Its easy to look around us and see all the many things that need to be 'fixed', but I think that God knows that, and I believe that if we are awake to God's Spirit we can be apart of the solution.

No comments: